It only takes 5 minutes and 3 ingredients to make this super moist lemon cake! You’ll love this light and quick dessert perfect for Spring.
- A fast, easy, super moist, lemon cake recipe.
- Simple swaps to reduce the calories and boost the indulgence factor from a cake mix.
- Under 160 calories, 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus per serving.
In the past I have made cupcakes with crushed pineapple and a box of cake mix. They come out light, fluffy, and quite tasty. For this dessert I had in mind something more moist, rich, and nearly gooey in texture. Mixing yogurt into a cake creates an indulgent richness and density. Using a combination of yogurt and crushed pineapple reduces the calories in your finished cake because they allow you to reduce or omit the oil and eggs normally used.
Before I washed the dishes I licked the spoon clean. The (egg free) batter had the bright flavor of lemon I was looking for. I crossed my fingers and waited to see if the finished cake would as well. The smell from the oven was so tempting. and indeed the fully baked cake was fabulous! Topped with a little squirt of whipped cream it was an instant favorite when I shared the lemon cake with friends at a dinner party.
I blame the grey midwinter days for my strong desire to eat all things citrus. And really, why not? If the sun isn’t shining outside what better way to brighten up the place than with sunny foods? Lemons have got to be one of the most versatile foods available. They are usually very affordable, they lend fantastic flavor to both sweet and savory dishes, and most of the fruit can be used in some way leaving very little waste. When it comes to turning them into a cake – this lemon cake – well, it pretty much explains itself as far as I’m concerned.
A few words about boxed cake mix:
There are some who will say, using a mix is not really baking, nor is it faster than preparing a batter from scratch. I like to bake from scratch too! However, starting with a mix is a great way to get from mixing bowl to oven in just a few minutes. If you are not a regular baker, have little time to spend in the kitchen, or find recipes frustrating and confusing – start with a mix. Additionally, a fully stocked baking pantry can be challenging for numerous reasons, including space.
For anyone who does not keep baking ingredients on hand, starting with a mix is a great way to whip up a dessert to share with nothing leftover to temp you. It is also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying all the from scratch ingredients at one time.
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) Pillsbury Moist Supreme Lemon Cake Mix (box contents only)*
- 1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple in 100% pineapple juice
- 6 oz. (approximately ¾ cup) non-fat Greek yogurt - lemon flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, lightly spray a 13x9 baking pan with non-stick spray, you can also take the extra step to line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all three ingredients making sure to mix throughly eliminating any pockets of dry cake mix. The bater will be thick.
- When fully combined, pour the bater into the prepared baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 - 40 minutes until a tooth pick or cake probe can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Cool completely before serving. Cake will be moist and slightly sticky, clean the knife after each cut to prevent the cake from tearing.
No lemon yogurt? No problem! Add ½ tsp of lemon extract to plain non-fat Greek yogurt. You could also try other flavors like coconut or pineapple.
Originally published 4/2013. Updated 4/20/2017
Free Nuts & Seeds Guide!
Are you looking for easy ways to create a healthier life for yourself and those you love?
Sign up for my FREE newsletter and get recipes & motivation from me, a weight loss coach & mom who is on the same journey. Let's grow together, one reachable step at a time.
Bonus! You'll get my handy nuts & seeds nutrition guide for healthier snacking.