Ginger-soy steamed cod is one of my favorite quick and easy fish recipes. Cooking this mild tasting white fish in an aromatic bath of simple Asian inspired ingredients infuses this lean protein with dynamic flavor.
- High in protein, fish is an excellent low calorie food that will fill you up.
- Big, bold flavors to satisfy your desire to eat delicious food that supports sustainable weight loss.
- Quick and easy recipe, minimal prep and a short cooking time mean you’ll go from hungry to happy in less time than it takes to find the bottom of a bag of chips.
Steaming may sound more like a punishment than a way to make healthy eating fun, if, in the past, you have been subjected to lack luster steamed vegetables. However, with a little practice you will discover steaming is one of the easiest methods for cooking healthy food.
I have found, the key to this quick cooking technique is flavorful cooking liquids that infuse the food as it steams. In no time, you will find, even the simplest ingredients become vibrant, tender, and full of flavor.
- 4 (6 oz) pieces of cod (may substitute other firm white fish)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mirin, sweet cooking rice seasoning
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, juice of approximately 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger root
- Optional: lime zest for garnish
- Pat the fish dry. Arrange on a plate then lightly sprinkle both sides with salt, set fish aside.
- In a large skillet with a lid, combine the liquid ingredients with the grated ginger then bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the fish to the pan top side down, cook for 2 minutes then flip.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pan. Cook covered for 6-8 minutes until the fish is tender and flaky. Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of your fish. The fillets are cooked when the meat is no longer translucent in the center.
Free Nuts & Seeds Guide!
Are you looking for easy ways to create a healthier life for yourself and those you love?
Sign up for my FREE newsletter and get recipes & motivation from me, a weight loss coach & mom who is on the same journey. Let's grow together, one reachable step at a time.
Bonus! You'll get my handy nuts & seeds nutrition guide for healthier snacking.