I love sharing products that fit into my family’s healthy life. This post is sponsored by Sabra Dipping Co. The ideas and opinions presented are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make it possible to keep Half Her Size running.
Quick and easy grilled pita pizzas topped with hummus and fresh ingredients are healthy and filling. Make for a quick lunch, dinner, or healthy appetizer.
Every spring I think to myself, “summer is coming, I should brainstorm a few easy no-cook meals for days that feel too hot to cook.” Then I stick a pin in that great idea. When the summer heat arrives I have no plan and we end up eating whatever I can find that does’t require cooking. I’m proud to say, this year is the year I finally planned ahead.
I can’t officially call grilled pita pizzas a no-cook recipe but the cooking is so minimal we should be able to manage even on the laziest days of summer. All they need is 3-5 minutes on a hot grill to soften the flatbread and add a little toasty char to the edges.
After that the toppings are simple. Slather each grilled pita with a scoop of hummus, add your favorite fresh colorful vegetables, then finish with a sprinkle of feta cheese. Are you with me? We can totally do this!
You’ll love grilled pita pizzas
- Make these super quick any time of day. Grilled pita pizzas are great for those unofficial times when you pull everything out and your healthy appetizer winds up filling in for lunch or dinner.
- The grilling is optional. Yes, the grill adds flavor but don’t let that keep you from enjoying this yummy snack or meal when the mood strikes
- Make a pizza for one or an appetizer for a crowd. You can scale this recipe as needed.
- Super customizable – Set the toppings out buffet style and let each person make their own. When you are having friends over “create your own” can be a great icebreaker when people start comparing ingredients and finding common likes and dislikes. Bonus: When kids choose their toppings they are more likely to actually eat their food!
- Surprisingly filling. I’m not going to lie when we tested this at home I expected everyone to be hungry right away. Nope. Thanks to the satisfying Sabra hummus and fiber filled vegetables we had fully happy tummies.
The easiest way to change up the flavor of these pizzas is to swap flavor of hummus. Classic and roasted red pepper offer a mild flavor. For a more punch try roasted garlic, basil pesto, or Tuscan herb garden. If you like a bit of heat choose chipotle or supremely spicy. Visit Sabra.com for more hummus flavor ideas to inspire your pizza making.
One more thing! Hummus Day is on May 13th, it’s a perfect day to have a grilled pita pizza party, not that you need an excuse to give these a try.
- 4 flatbread pitas (recommend whole wheat)
- olive oil
- ¾ cup hummus
- ½ cup diced bell pepper (try a mix of colors)
- ½ cup halved grape tomatoes
- ½ cup diced English cucumber
- ¼ cup diced kalamata olives
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- thinly sliced fresh herbs such as mint, basil, or parsley
- black pepper
- Heat your grill or a grill pan on the stove top to medium high heat.
- Mist or brush both sides of the pitas with a light coating of olive oil. Place them on the hot grill and cook until they soften have deep golden grill marks (2-4 minutes). Flip and toast on the other side the same way. Remove to a plate. If desired cover with a clean towel to keep warm a bit longer.
- Top each pita with a generous scoop of hummus (2-3 tablespoons) spreading evenly across the surface - leave a finger width margin around the edges.
- Top with a selection of diced vegetables then with feta (1-2 tablespoons),fresh herbs, and pepper to taste.
Free Nuts & Seeds Guide!
Are you looking for easy ways to create a healthier life for yourself and those you love?
Sign up for my FREE newsletter and get recipes & motivation from me, a weight loss coach & mom who is on the same journey. Let's grow together, one reachable step at a time.
Bonus! You'll get my handy nuts & seeds nutrition guide for healthier snacking.